G-Slate Fans! Unofficial Forums of the LG G-Slate

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader

Jayemko
    Jayemko
    n00b
    n00b

Rooted? : Yep
    Job/hobbies : Web/Software Developer
    Male

Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader Empty Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader

Post by Jayemko Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:49 pm

**My background (since I'm new here): 2yr Google Nexus One (US) user/modifier/etc, know my way around ROMs/ADB/etc (not kernels, yet), and since I am published on the Market, I was given a G-Slate to develop on. Basically, while I claim to know nothing, I'm definitely no noob.**

My first (US) G-Slate auto updated to 3.1, before I learned that it was the polar opposite of my Nexus (painfully restricted vs wide open unlocked). I just received a replacement G-Slate because LG and T-Mo couldn't SIM unlock my first one (to use on any GSM carrier).

I opened the box > plugged in charger > put in Airplane mode, to prevent the auto update. I haven't even transferred anything from my other G-Slate yet. I'm curious if anyone has poked around the 3.1 update (manual version) to see if it can be modified to prevent the bootloader unlock. I know there is no going back to 3.0 once updated, so I figure try now while I can.

Anyone have input? Tried/failed/bricked/etc? Or is there just nothing available ROM/Kernel/etc-wise and I should just let it update and just hope it's not already bastardized and has received it's only and final update 7 months after release?

(btw I know about the IRC channel, just didn't know if it's any busier than here, and XDA can suck one for not making a sub-forum already.)
    Jayemko
    Jayemko
    n00b
    n00b

Male

Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader Empty Re: Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader

Post by Jayemko Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Don't everyone jump at once Smile

Then I will use this thread to post my findings/questions/updates/etc for anyone else to track or chime in if they wish.

Here's my thinking:
    Google makes 3.1 update > Google gives 3.1 to LG/TMo > LG/TMo "personalize" update > We get locked bootloader

(Rhetorical) Shouldn't we be able to remove the code added by LG/TMo that locks the bootloader, flash, and be ok?

Digging around the update, in the folder root I find a 'boot.img' file and an 'lge' folder, in addition to the Google stuff. 'Lge' folder contains: bootloader.bin, radio.img, and update-binary-oem. Opening bootloader.bin in notepad, to no surprise, shows jibberish.

That's where I'm at: figuring out the right file, how to read it, and what to do with it. This isn't the first device that has had it's bootloader locked, just one without a work-around yet. I'm off to look for hints in posts/site/articles/rants saying "Wait! Don't update ___ til you do ___!" about other devices.
    drtechy
    n00b
    n00b

Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader Empty Re: Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader

Post by drtechy Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:41 pm

I wish I could give some advice on it, but from everything I've read with the locked bootloader there isn't much that can be done other than rooting it.
    Jayemko
    Jayemko
    n00b
    n00b

Male

Post by Jayemko Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:45 pm

drtechy wrote:I wish I could give some advice on it, but from everything I've read with the locked bootloader there isn't much that can be done other than rooting it.

Yea same here. That's why I am trying to prevent the lock on my other device by holding off on the 3.1 upgrade, and looking to apply a modified manual update to 3.1 instead.
    drtechy
    n00b
    n00b

Post by drtechy Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Jayemko wrote:
    drtechy wrote:I wish I could give some advice on it, but from everything I've read with the locked bootloader there isn't much that can be done other than rooting it.

Yea same here. That's why I am trying to prevent the lock on my other device by holding off on the 3.1 upgrade, and looking to apply a modified manual update to 3.1 instead.

I hear ya, I had such high hopes for this device. And honestly since 3.1 it is really a great device. I have no issues what so ever. Just sucks we can't do anything custom roms and things like that to it.
    innerspace
    n00b
    n00b

Got a virgin GSlate again, still 3.0. I want to help/try modifying 3.1 update while I still have non-locked bootloader Empty @Jaymeko

Post by innerspace Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 am

After a long hiatus there is a fresh push in irc being led by ChiefzReloaded and ^Faye^, head over to #g-slate @ freenode and introduce yourself. A few things, we can indeed rollback from 3.1 to 3.0.1 using a downgrade created by ChiefzReloaded, once downgraded you can boot custom kernels on 3.0.1 (though apparently NOT flash them yet). I haven't stepped back into the fray yet so do your due diligence. Check the header in the IRC channel for a link to this forum, rootzwiki and most importantly, the v909 googlecode page for Team Bawse.

Good luck to you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm