G-Slate Fans! Unofficial Forums of the LG G-Slate

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Abour rooting Rogers V905R

MousePad
    n00b
    n00b

Abour rooting Rogers V905R Empty Abour rooting Rogers V905R

Post by MousePad Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been searching high and low about rooting a friend's V905R. Of course I don't want to brick his toy. I've found plenty of information and everything I need to root the US version, the V909. Is it safe to use these tools on the V905R? Are they identical hardware-wise? Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks for the answers guys.
    deez1234
    deez1234

Rooted? : Duh.
    Job/hobbies : Construction, Tech, Games, Movies
    Male Scorpio

Abour rooting Rogers V905R Empty Re: Abour rooting Rogers V905R

Post by deez1234 Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:33 am

My understanding is that if the Roger's version does have the /system on the same partition as the V909, this should work fine. I would have yourself or your buddy confirm this before testing my theory.
    drezman
    n00b
    n00b

Abour rooting Rogers V905R Empty rooting is fine, but you shouldn't upgrade to 3.1

Post by drezman Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:48 pm

As far as your question, I can confirm that the rooting of my v905r on the stock rogers 3.0.1 romworked flawlessly.

But a warning to all rogers v905r owners. I upgraded my rogers v905r to 3.1 using the files and method from the google code project page. The rom is for tmobile, and it clearly states that optimus pad owners flash at their own risk, but i tried it anyway. Everything else worked fine, but I noticed that i was only getting an E (edge) connection instead of a high speed hsdpa one. After checking my mobile network and apn settings I did a little research and as far as I can tell the problem is that rogers and t-mobile use different frequencies for their high speed networks. I have found a hidden menu that lets you select different frequencies, but even selecting the proper one has no effect. I also had a backup of my original rogers 3.0.1 system partition, and was able to flash back to that once the downgrade tool was available (thanks again to the handful of amazing developers working on this device) but this STILL didn't fix my problem.
    I'm not a dev by any stretch of the imagination, but my theory is that there may be a radio partition where that kind of thing is stored, that got overwritten during the upgrade, and since I only have a backup of my system partition, can't be restored.

So, yes you CAN upgrade without bricking your device, but unless I'm missing something you'll lose your 3g connection (and it seems to have made my gps wonky too). If you're a risk taker, I would definately back up ALL partitions before trying anything.

MousePad
    n00b
    n00b

Post by MousePad Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the answers guys. I too can confirm I rooted a V905R sucessfully. I haven't tried to update it yet, and am not sure I will, since it seems to break 3G.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am