G-Slate Fans! Unofficial Forums of the LG G-Slate

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
deez1234
Chandon
Admin
7 posters

Rooting the G-Slate with Ubuntu wubi

Chandon

Rooting the G-Slate with Ubuntu wubi - Page 2 Empty Re: Rooting the G-Slate with Ubuntu wubi

Post by Chandon Fri May 06, 2011 5:44 pm

As long as you back up any partitions before you flash over them, you *should* be able to restore them by flashing the backups. I flashed five megs of zeros over my kernel, booted to an "invalid kernel" error, and then successfully restored it, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable with nvflash as a rescue mechanism.

As long as you're careful and stick with --download to partitions that you're pretty sure you've identified and backed up, you should be reasonably safe.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Rooted? : Yes
    Job/hobbies : USAFR
    Male Scorpio

Rooting the G-Slate with Ubuntu wubi - Page 2 Empty Re: Rooting the G-Slate with Ubuntu wubi

Post by Admin Fri May 06, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I kinda figured that my device not showing up in lsusb would cause problems.

Quick question - I have drivers installed for my G-slate already...but do I need any additional drivers to access apx mode? Because when I originally plugged it in, Windows popped up and said that it recognized the "apx" device, but could not install any drivers for it.

Edit: [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Admin on Fri May 06, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Chandon

Post by Chandon Fri May 06, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm not really sure how Windows drivers interact with VirtualBox. If you were doing the nvflash commands under Windows, you need the APX drivers that Nvidia distributes on their Tegra 2 developers page.

But at this point if the APX device isn't showing up in the VirtualBox USB device sharing menu I'd punt and do a Wubi install of Ubuntu. It's not significantly more of a risk/commitment than the virtual install, and with Ubuntu running directly on the hardware there are no driver issues in this story.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Fri May 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Got it. Going to do a wubi install now.

Edit: Found the apx drivers HERE.

Going to try VBox one more time...maybe the updated drivers will make it work.

Edit 2: Still no dice. wubi install underway.
    deez1234
    deez1234

Rooted? : Duh.
    Job/hobbies : Construction, Tech, Games, Movies
    Male Scorpio

Post by deez1234 Fri May 06, 2011 6:42 pm

I hope you get it all sorted out bro. Its so much easier when you have Linux installed natively. I am positive you will get it!
    bealesbane
    n00b
    n00b

Post by bealesbane Fri May 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Didn't get around to registering here until now, but I wanted to post a big THANK YOU to Chandon. I followed Bling over here from XDA, thinking we'd never see a solution without a forum section over there, and was wearing myself out in the wee hours trying to stumble across it...I had only gotten as far as figuring out that nvflash was the way to go, but would never have guessed the 'black screen' button combo was the right place, and had no bootloader file to use. With your instructions, it all clicked together...fortunately I had an extra box laying around, so I threw Ubuntu on it and wham bam thank you ma'am, I am rooted! cheers

(Yeah, I know, as a proper geek I should at the very least have a dual boot with a penguin on my main winbox, but I had a bad experience with M$ getting greedy back in the dawn of Vista, so I only run virtual secondary OS' on my main now. And though VirtualBox's USB is pretty good, not sure I trust it with flashing.)

This forum was a great idea, Bling!

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Ubuntu now natively installed. Let's try this crap again... study

No problem. I actually have quite a bit of experience in web design and forum management so this thing was a breeze. Unlike rooting.
    deez1234
    deez1234

Male Scorpio

Post by deez1234 Fri May 06, 2011 7:58 pm

bealesbane wrote:Didn't get around to registering here until now, but I wanted to post a big THANK YOU to Chandon. I followed Bling over here from XDA, thinking we'd never see a solution without a forum section over there, and was wearing myself out in the wee hours trying to stumble across it...I had only gotten as far as figuring out that nvflash was the way to go, but would never have guessed the 'black screen' button combo was the right place, and had no bootloader file to use. With your instructions, it all clicked together...fortunately I had an extra box laying around, so I threw Ubuntu on it and wham bam thank you ma'am, I am rooted! cheers

(Yeah, I know, as a proper geek I should at the very least have a dual boot with a penguin on my main winbox, but I had a bad experience with M$ getting greedy back in the dawn of Vista, so I only run virtual secondary OS' on my main now. And though VirtualBox's USB is pretty good, not sure I trust it with flashing.)

Any idea how we can get Clockwork Recovery working on this device? I don't know where to start!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Fri May 06, 2011 8:08 pm

Hey guys, just to confirm - the nvflash files I need to download from chandon's dropbox - it's just the "nvflash_linux" and "nvflash_gtablet", correct? And then I unzip them and place all files in the same directory i put su, superuser and bootloader.bin, correct?
    deez1234
    deez1234

Male Scorpio

Post by deez1234 Fri May 06, 2011 8:09 pm

you are correct Bling, but don't forget the Xoom zip file also
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Fri May 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Finally got lsusb to work! Wooo!! Baby steps...

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0955:7820 NVidia Corp.

EDIT: And that's where my luck ends.

./nvflash: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

No idea what that means. confused
    Starting to get pretty discouraged here.
    deez1234
    deez1234

Male Scorpio

Post by deez1234 Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm out of ideas man. I wish I could help. It would be nice if we had an IRC channel to continue helping people and to work on development.
    Chandon

Post by Chandon Fri May 06, 2011 9:40 pm

If you can see the device in lsusb then you're almost there. It's a computer, so it's going to whine about stupid stuff, but you're backing it into a corner and it's almost out of stupid problems to have.

For your libstdc++6 error, try running these:
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++6
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    deez1234
    deez1234

Male Scorpio

Post by deez1234 Fri May 06, 2011 11:20 pm

So Bling, have you had any luck with the rooting process? I'm just curious if you were able to get it working for you.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Fri May 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Afraid not.

I tried both of chandon's suggestions. Neither worked. I'm at a dead end. Installed Ubuntu natively and followed instructions on XDA thread. Chandon if you can get someone else to confirm this process, I'll give you your $50. Sucks it doesn't work for me, but I'm not gonna go back on my word. I'll just have to figure out some other way to root it, or wait for someone to figure out how to root it using Windows.

Thanks anyways for trying to help guys, I really appreciate it.
    deez1234
    deez1234

Male Scorpio

Post by deez1234 Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 pm

I was bored and set up an IRC channel for the G-Slate! irc.freenode.net and the channel is #G-Slate
    Chandon

Post by Chandon Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 am

Admin wrote:I tried both of chandon's suggestions. Neither worked.

You really are almost there, it just feels horribly painful and hopeless because you've been dropped in a foreign land with no map.

If you're still getting the same error, then you must be on a 64-bit Ubuntu.

Luckily, that just changes the command to install the missing library:
    sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Sat May 07, 2011 12:36 am

I am on a 64-bit ubuntu. Forgot all about it. Didn't realize that would cause an error but yeah now it makes sense why it would. Rebooting out of Windows and back into Ubuntu now. Will edit on status of next attempt.

EDIT: FINALLY! Step 5 done. Note: before entering ./nvflash etc., I had to enter "sudo". First time I got it, it came back permission denied.

On to step 6.

EDIT 2: Ok - I think I did it! Not real sure how to verify. I see superuser is in my apps. Opened up a terminal, entered su, and terminal was granted superuser permissions. Guess that means it worked.
    Chandon

Post by Chandon Sat May 07, 2011 1:25 am

Admin wrote:Ok - I think I did it! Not real sure how to verify. I see superuser is in my apps. Opened up a terminal, entered su, and terminal was granted superuser permissions. Guess that means it worked.

Congrats. If you typed "su" and got a "#" prompt, then you're rooted. I'd give you some great suggestions for root-only apps, but honestly the only thing I installed was busybox.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Sat May 07, 2011 1:32 am

Chandon wrote:
    Admin wrote:Ok - I think I did it! Not real sure how to verify. I see superuser is in my apps. Opened up a terminal, entered su, and terminal was granted superuser permissions. Guess that means it worked.

Congrats. If you typed "su" and got a "#" prompt, then you're rooted. I'd give you some great suggestions for root-only apps, but honestly the only thing I installed was busybox.

Yeah I got a #, and I just downloaded rootcheck off the market and it came back root-positive Very Happy

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you the reward (hope you don't mind a check). Thanks again!
    Whitestfilipina
    n00b
    n00b

Rooting the G-Slate with Ubuntu wubi - Page 2 Empty help me get past this step

Post by Whitestfilipina Sun May 08, 2011 11:20 pm

i am so bummed i cannot get past
    #7 ./nvflash --bl bootloader.bin --getpartitiontable ptable.txt
    #8./nvflash -r --read 8 system-orig.img
    Wait while 400 meg of data copies. ( i cant get it to the part where it shows its copying anything just automatically goes to the next prompt as if it copied everything in 1 second. so im stuck here: here is exactly what my terminal looks like:

suzanne@ubuntu:~/Desktop/v909$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b1d6 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0955:7820 NVidia Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    suzanne@ubuntu:~/Desktop/v909$ sudo su
    [sudo] password for suzanne:
    root@ubuntu:/home/suzanne/Desktop/v909# ls
    bootloader.bin nvflash su Superuser.apk
    root@ubuntu:/home/suzanne/Desktop/v909# sudo ./nvflash –bl bootloader.bin –getpartitiontable ptable.txt
    root@ubuntu:/home/suzanne/Desktop/v909# sudo ./nvflash -r –read 8 system-orig.img
    root@ubuntu:/home/suzanne/Desktop/v909#

confused

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 am

Thats really odd that it won't progress past that point. Are you using 32bit Ubuntu? Or 64?
    Whitestfilipina
    n00b
    n00b

Post by Whitestfilipina Tue May 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Admin wrote:Thats really odd that it won't progress past that point. Are you using 32bit Ubuntu? Or 64?

I think i am using Ubuntu 64. god o please o please tell me thats why its not letting me do it ! Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Scorpio

Post by Admin Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Yes, if you are using 64-bit Ubuntu you won't be able to do it until you download the necessary libraries. I don't remember the exact command but if you check the rooting thread on XDA, Chandon edited his first post to list the command under troubleshooting steps. I actually had the same issue myself, thats how we know about it.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. It was like 3 posts above.

sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6
    dammit2hell
    dammit2hell
    n00b
    n00b

Rooted? : Not yet
    Job/hobbies : Computer repair tech
    Male Virgo

Post by dammit2hell Mon May 16, 2011 11:08 am

I'm glad I found this place. Been looking for a forum....stupid XDA...lol

Anyway, we've got root. Hells yeah. I hope someone gets a one click method soon. Great job guys!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm